Thursday, May 17, 2007

Alberta's Oil Crisis

(Week 18, Day 2)

Some of you know me, but for those of you who don't I'll give a brief introduction. My name is Scott, and I am a student journalist at the University of Alberta. I'm a fairly active member of the online community, and like to think that I've got a finger on the pulse of local and global events.

So, as you can imagine, I'm not oblivious to the current state of global affairs - a crisis that's being called the World Oil Shock by those news outlets that are devoting time to it.

The Gateway - that is, the student newspaper at the U of A - can only devote so much space to the oil shock; but I personally am interested in following the news and commenting on it, so I've created this online blog as an outlet. Thanks for tuning in.

Currently things are getting pretty hairy in Alberta. In case you are unaware, United States troops have moved into the province to secure the precious oil sands around Fort McMurray to the north. The last news I've heard indicates that a bizarre three-way standoff between a group of partisans, the Canadian Armed Forces and the US Army has ensued, with no one side quite willing to start shooting at the others.

The sad fact is, the United States will probably end up controlling the area. This is typical of the US - putting its own interests first - and of Canada - acquiescing to the States. I hate to say that I hope the Canadian Government puts up a fight, because I'd hate to see anyone lose their lives up there. We shouldn't just give up our valuable natural resources though, especially under the current circumstances. With the oil shock continuing, we need to put our interests first and foremost. The US is arguably responsible for this mess - it isn't up to Canada or Alberta to get them out of it.

The real surprise to me is that national news is glazing over the issue. Local news outlets in Alberta have been reporting on it, certainly, but CBC News has been very quiet about it, other than a few minor references to Canadian Troop Movements in the area. Is the government trying to keep this quiet? Do they not want to cause a panic? I'm really concerned about this, because it's not like the current chaos happening south of the border is going unnoticed. Hell, we've seen an influx of AMERICAN REFUGEES. That's something I never thought I'd be commenting on, but there you have it. People scared of what's going on in the northern states have been border jumping, and it's starting to put more strain on us. Don't they realize that things are just as bad up here?

I always considered myself an accepting person, but we really don't need this right now.

At any rate, I'll post again soon with more word on what's going on here in Edmonton - home of the Edmonton Oilers - specifically, as well as more on the refugee situation. I'll also be keeping an eye on the standoff up north. The last thing I want is a war happening in Alberta.

It's a scary time to be a North American citizen. Things are starting to feel less and less like the vaunted first world, here. I'm seriously considering moving somewhere safer.

***This is a fictional report of the state of affairs in Alberta for the World Without Oil ARG.

No comments: